As an employee, it is important to keep track of all contributions made by your employer in your Employees' Provident fund (EPF) account. The EPF statement can be helpful to know how much deduction from the gross total income under section 80C can be claimed by you for the contribution made during the year by you.
The EPF statement also shows the total corpus that has been accumulated through contributions made you and your employer.
The statement can also be helpful to get information that will be required to transfer your EPF account from the previous employer to the current one.
The EPF passbook contains details such as your PF account number, provident fund and pension scheme details, name and establishment ID of your employer, EPFO office and its type and so on.
To access your passbook, you must already be registered with the EPFO website. Here's how you can register yourself.
1. Visit https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
2. Click on Activate UAN (Universal Account Number).
3. A new page will appear on your screen. Enter your details such as UAN, Aadhaar, PAN and other details. Remember, certain information (marked with red asterisk) are mandatory.
4. Click on 'Get Authorization Pin'. A new page will appear on your screen asking you to verify the details entered by you. Also, an OTP via SMS will be sent to your mobile.
5. Enter the OTP and click on 'Validate OTP and activate UAN'.
Once your UAN is activated, you will receive an SMS containing your password. Use this password to login to your account. You can change your password after logging in.
Before you begin to download your statement, remember you can view your passbook only 6 hours after registration.
Here is the step-by-step guide to download your EPF statement:
Step 1: Visit website: https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
Step 2: Enter your UAN, password and captcha code. Click on 'log in'.
Step 3: On successful login, select the member ID to view your passbook.
The passbook shown is in PDF format which can be easily downloaded.
Note: You cannot view passbook for exempted establishments, i.e., if your employer manages the PF trust on their own, settled members and inoperative members.
In case you have forgotten the password of your account, you can reset the password by visiting the EPFO Member e-sewa website (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/)