educratsweb.com ❄ Study Material 🗓 Wednesday September 19 2018 👁 360
- The Cabinet Committee approved continuation of the Capacity Development Scheme for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- This Committee chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- Objective of the scheme is to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for making available credible and timely Official Statistics for policy makers and public at large.
- The Capacity Development Scheme is an Ongoing Central Sector Scheme of MoSPI.
- The major ongoing activities under the Capacity Development Scheme, include augmenting resources for bringing out important statistical products, such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), Consumer Price Index (CPI), Index of Industrial Production (IIP), Statistical classifications, etc.;
The Capacity Development Scheme has two Sub-schemes, Economic Census and Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS).
- listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically, which forms the basis for conducting detailed socio-economic surveys. The last (6l) Economic Census was conducted during January, 2013 to April, 2014 and the Government now aims to conduct the Census once every three years in future.
The SSS Sub-scheme:
- To strengthen State/ Sub-State level statistical systems/ infrastructure to facilitate development of a robust national system. Funds are released to States/ UTs for this purpose after detailed examination of their proposals.