If you want your child to start in the wonderful music world but neither he nor you decide on a musical instrument, in this article we propose you the guitar.
The benefits of playing guitar for children are enormous, not only to enjoy music, but also to acquire other skills and abilities.
1. It is an easy instrument to transport, the child can take it with him everywhere and, above all, it is affordable. You will find guitars for beginners from 50 or 60 dollars and, if your son goes crazy with this instrument, later you can consider acquiring a more professional one. In addition, it is an instrument that has several sizes, depending on the age of the child:
- 1/4: are small guitars for children up to 7 or 8 years old.
- 1/2: for children between 1.10 and 1.30 centimeters.
- 3/4: children between 1.20 and 1.40.
- 7/8: for teenagers and people with small hands.
- 4/4: is the standard size of an adult guitar.
Remember also that, if your child is left-handed, you must take it into account when purchasing a guitar.
2. It is not a very noisy instrument, as can be a drums or a piano that, besides, when they are badly played it can be stressful and exhausting for the ears of parents and neighbors.
3. The musicians recommend the guitar as a basic instrument for composing. If your child is very creative and not only wants to learn to play, but to create, the guitar is an excellent vehicle to start as a composer.
4. Playing guitar is a much more enriching activity than watching television or playing video games all day. A musical instrument can fill and change your child´s life.
5. The guitar will help develop the child´s creativity and talent. Not only he can play melodies of other people, but also invent his own or even develop an incredible talent with the strings.
6. Learning to master a musical instrument such as the guitar helps children gain more self-confidence. Moreover, it is an excellent way to socialize with others who will ask you to play the songs of their idols.
7. Playing the guitar is fun, it will help your child smile, have a great time, feel happy and make others happy.
8. Playing a musical instrument stimulates all parts of the brain. Therefore, playing guitar is an excellent exercise for the mind. It even encourages children's math skills.
9. The guitar stimulates the memory of the child who will remember and internalize where and how to place each finger so that the music sounds as it should.
10. Learning to play the guitar improves coordination: the child has to do something different with each hand, which will stimulate his motor coordination and his ability to multitask.
11. The child who plays the guitar is constantly working his concentration and sustained attention in a single subject.
12. Learning to play the guitar for children is not a task that is achieved from one day to the next, they will have to work with patience and perseverance. They´ll have to try again and again to find the right notes at all times.
How to buy a guitar for your child?
When buying a guitar for children there are a number of factors that we must take into account. In the first place, it should be emphasized that classic or Spanish guitars are the most recommended option for several reasons. One of them is the greater softness offered by this type of instruments, which will make the process of familiarizing the little artist with his guitar much more pleasant, which he will be able to play without excessive problems, even with the help of his nails.
Within the Spanish guitars it is advisable to pay special attention to the size of the instrument. Regarding this topic, there is an interesting debate among fans, professionals and lovers in general of the guitar world. Some teachers defend the convenience of the child starting to play with a standard-sized guitar so that they get used to their proportions as soon as possible. In addition, they claim that the tuning of the instrument is not the same, and that a small guitar has a very limited lifespan, because when the child grows up he will need a larger instrument to continue his learning.
However, it is a fact that many children (especially children under 7-8 years) find it very difficult to handle the instrument more or less comfortable. This can be attributed both to an early age and to a short height and small size of the child, regardless of the years it has.
For these cases it is advisable to buy a junior guitar. Its small dimensions, much more proportionate to those of the child's body, will allow the beginner guitarist to dare with more advanced positions, and in this way unleash all his talent and musical ability, which in other circumstances would be really complicated.