ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
India Resident Mission
ASSOCIATE SAFEGUARDS OFFICER
Provides technical and operational support to the resettlement management and social development activities for various projects within the framework of ADB's policies and guidelines. The position will also assist in portfolio management, administer loans and technical assistance projects.
For job description and to apply, visit:
Application closing date is 7 November 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in India Resident Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India. This position will actively contribute to INRM by providing technical and operational support to the resettlement management and social development activities for various projects and will also assist in portfolio management, and administer loans and Technical Assistance (TA) projects depending on the situation/requirements of INRM.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Safeguards Officer will actively provide technical and operational support to the resettlement management and social development activities for various projects within the framework of ADB's policies and guidelines. The officer will also assist in portfolio management, and administer loans and technical assistance (TA) projects. The position will report to the Designated International Staff (IS) and or senior National Staff (NS).
Contributes independently to INRM by covering all or a combination of the following functions, assisting in the project processing and administration of assigned loans & TAs, portfolio management, country programming and sector coordination depending on the situation/requirements of the resident mission:
- Contributes actively in project processing missions to conduct initial poverty and social assessments (IPSA), and conducts loan review missions to assess compliance with social safeguards (involuntary resettlement and indigenous peoples) and loan covenants and address implementation issues of land acquisition and resettlement.
- Provides technical support to sector divisions, including review of papers, feasibility studies, appraisal reports, social safeguards monitoring and evaluation reports, project progress reports and other relevant documents and assesses the quality of compliance with ADB social safeguard policies from the perspective of land acquisition and resettlement management, on assignment basis. Prepares recommendations for follow-up actions.
- Provides technical assistance to EA/IAs and external monitors to improve their monitoring, evaluation, supervision and reporting of resettlement progress.
- Reviews draft, updates and revises Resettlement Plans and submits to ADB for approval and document whether they are satisfactory to meet ADB requirements, or specify further revisions required.
- Monitors and supports the implementation of resettlement and related social activities, identifying gaps in arrangements and capacities of the executing and associated agencies (with capacity rating as needed), and provides proactive advice for their sound progress to help timely project implementation.
- Collaborates and liaises with the Government and agencies concerned as well as with other donor agencies and formulates recommendations, discusses with executing agencies (EAs)/implementing agencies (IAs) and agrees upon action plans to address resettlement and associated social issues.
- Assists and contributes in Project Completion Review missions and assists in evaluating the project resettlement and indigenous peoples work, and writing the relevant parts of the Project Completion Report.
- Reviews country policies on social development, particularly gender, children, retarded, and indigenous people.
- Participates actively in country portfolio review missions and prepares portfolio review reports, and provides inputs for country programming and country partnership strategy preparation and updates, as necessary.
- Keeps track of policies, laws, rules and regulations on Project Land Acquisition and Resettlement and explains ADB's policies and procedures related to land acquisition and resettlement to EA/IAs to help them resolve problems.
- Acts as focal person for social safeguards and performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent's workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, Resettlement, or related fields, preferably with advanced training.
- At least 6 years relevant experience in socioeconomic surveys, social impact assessment, and resettlement plan preparation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Familiarity with local institutions and regulators with regard to land acquisition and resettlement practice
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Proven application of expertise and experience within the assigned sector
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning / feasibility analysis / detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision / contract management) is desirable
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in team-oriented environment.
- Ability to take initiative and work proactively.
- Flexibility/willingness to perform variety of tasks and expand the scope of work and responsibilities as needed.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1 - 2.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
For more information visit https://www.adb.org/careers/180674If this link not working click hereLast Date for Apply : Wednesday November 7 2018(Note : Last date for Apply may vary, if any corrigendum published on the official website. So visit official website regularly for any corrigendum /Admit Card / Exam Result/ Previous Year Question Papers)